The Boston CannabizMD Cannabis Science + Policy Forum: Patient Care, Policy, and Emerging Trends is an innovative event for New England-based physicians, advanced practice providers, and medical cannabis industry professionals. The roundtable discussions focus on the science and therapeutic use of medical cannabis and regulatory issues relevant to clinical practice, research, and cannabis industry professionals with a final discussion on emerging trends and innovation in medical cannabis.
Network and learn throughout the day in the beautiful setting of the Boston Seaport offices of Foley Hoag. A continental breakfast will be served at registration with full lunch and snacks during the day. Following the Forum, Tea Pad will be hosted at the same location from 5 pm – 8 pm EST with live music and provocative conversation focused on ensuring social equity in the cannabis industry.
Keynote Speaker: Jordan Tishler, M.D. Cannabinoid Specialist, Instructor Harvard Medical School, President of Association of Cannabinoid Specialists
Keynote: “Cannabis Patients + Legalization: Where Do We Go From Here?”
Dr. Jordan Tishler is a cannabis specialist. Through his training in Internal Medicine and years of practice as an Emergency Physician, Dr. Tishler brings his knowledge, reason, and care to patients and advocacy work at the local and national levels. Dr. Tishler graduated from both Harvard College and Harvard Medical School, trained at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and is faculty at both the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. He has spent many years working with the underserved, particularly providing care for veterans. Having treated countless patients harmed by alcohol and drugs, his observation that he had never seen a cannabis overdose led Dr. Tishler to delve deeply into the science of cannabis safety and treatment. He is the President of the Association of Cannabis Specialists which aims to educate clinicians, lawmakers, and the industry about best practices and needed tools for proper patient care.
Medical Cannabis Industry Roundtables and Speakers:
Roundtable A: Clinical + Scientific Use of Medical Cannabis
Experts will discuss current evidence-based science related to medical cannabis including interactions with the endocannabinoid system, clinical pharmacology, dosing, delivery, and therapeutics in integrative care.
Moderator: Emily Jacobs, RN, BSN, MS MCST CannabizMD Director of Content
- Uma Dhanabalan, M.D. MPH, FAAFP, MRO, CMS is an internationally respected physician known to most as Dr. Uma. She is the Founder/CEO of Global Health Solutions, LLC/Uplifting Health & Wellness, an independent medical practice. Dr. Uma is an educator, advocate, and activist. She speaks locally and globally about cannabis as plant medicine and global solutions.
- Brian Essenter, RPh Diplomate of Medical Cannabinoid Science®, Cannabis Pharmacist and Consultant for Cannabis businesses @MM Consult CT, Business Development Consultant, John Patrick University
- Robin Belle, RN, IgCN, LNC is a registered nurse and entrepreneur with over 25 years of experience in healthcare. She is a Charter Member of the Cannabis Nurse’s of Color, founded in 2021 (an affiliate of the American Cannabis Nurse’s Association).
Roundtable B: Federal Regulatory Considerations for Clinical Practice + Research
While there are more than 6 million U.S.-certified medical cannabis patients, a federal-state divide exists while cannabis remains classified as a Schedule I drug by the DEA. Healthcare providers, researchers, and medical cannabis industry professionals are uniquely challenged by navigating federal and state regulations, public policy, and the impact on public health. Roundtable members will discuss the complex federal regulatory landscape along with likely next steps for federal cannabis drug policy reform and the impact of the 2022 Medical Marijuana and Cannabidiol Research Expansion Act (the Cannabis Research Bill) and federal DEI initiatives.
Moderator: Karen Jaynes, MS, Cannabis Science Expert & Educator, Advisor to the Council for Federal Cannabis Regulation (CFCR)
- Kristine Blackwood Healthcare Policy Counsel, Arnold & Porter
- Bryant Godfrey FDA/Life Sciences Attorney, Foley Hoag LLP
- Jay Wexler Professor, Boston University Law School
Roundtable C: State Regulatory Considerations
With adult-use legalization, patients have easier access to medical cannabis. In theory, state legalization programs support communities most harmed by the War on Drugs. State regulations are intended to protect public health and generate taxes for social purposes. Are these programs effective? State cannabis regulatory experts will review the impact of state adult-use legalization on state medical cannabis programs including the costs and benefits and the success of social equity initiatives.
Moderator: Jordan Tishler, M.D. Cannabinoid Specialist, Instructor Harvard Medical School, President of the Association of Cannabinoid Specialists
- Lauren Niehaus Executive Director, Government Relations, Trulieve
- Kevin Conroy Partner, Co-chair, Foley Hoag Cannabis, State Attorney General, and Energy/Cleantech Groups
- Kay Doyle Director of Government Affairs, Green Thumb Industries, Former Commissioner, Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission
Roundtable D: Innovation + Emerging Trends
This roundtable examines the intersection of the cannabis industry, traditional healthcare, the pharmaceutical industry, and technology. The discussion will include guidance on approaches to multidisciplinary collaboration and the practical application of translational research models to advance cannabis science and quality patient care
- Cherissa Jackson, RN, MS CEO/Founder “We Decode LLC”, Retired Air Force, America’s Combat Nurse, Cannabis Advocate, Nurse, Author, Speaker
- David Vaillencourt CEO/Founder, The GMP Collective, Vice-Chair of Committee D37 on Cannabis, ASTM International
- Mike Hennesy, MS Vice President of Innovation, Wana Brands
Speaker and Sponsorship Consideration: Jacquie Cohen Roth, MS
Tea Pad will follow the Forum from 5 pm EST – 8 pm EST at the same location as the Forum with the live jazz, good eats, plentiful libations, and provocative conversation every Tea Pd is famous for.
The Robbie Pate Trio joins Tea Pad in Boston as the featured artist with cannabis entrepreneur and social justice advocate Helen Gomez Andrews as the featured speaker. Helen is co-founder/CEO of The High End, a medical cannabis advocate, and was appointed to the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission Cannabis Advisory Board by then AG now Governor Maura Healy.
The mission of Tea Pad is to break down barriers to entry and advancement in the cannabis industry – no matter gender or race – via education. Tea Pad is a cannabis industry nonprofit networking group committed to advancing women and people of color in cannabis STEM via the Tea Pad Fellowship Program. For additional information on Tea Pad, please Tea Pad online and social media: LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram @teapad_baltimore.